Friday, March 21, 2014

What a week!

Soooooooooooo this has kinda been a eventful week and I cannot remember if I have posted any of this yet!

So....going back a bit.....ive been eating 1200-1300 calories. Over the last few weeks I started to get super tired. I noticed in my workouts I wasnt doing as well as normal...not getting a high strokes per min on the rower....struggling to focus with certain exercises....not doing as high weights on certain exercises. I knew it was possibly related to the lack of food but I figured my body would adjust and to just try and get thru it. Then last weekend I was sick all weekend (gastro, then flu-ish then a migraine). I must admit I was not only tired but i was pissed off.....annoyed by lack of progress...sick of the fact 7.5 years i still wasnt at goal....hate that I had another fall at the gym (when i fell on the treadmill...which I might say is STILL sore ffs!)...feeling too old for my gym blah blah blah the list goes on lol....

So anyway on monday I told my trainer I was taking a week off from the gym and so wouldnt be in for PT. She was a lil surprised but ok with that. I think now looking back on the week I am glad I did it....I was so tired it gave me time to get over my tiredness.

I also did some reading and came across the website www.eattoperform.com. Really interesting site....the premise of their nutrition and exercise....it to eat high enough that it supports your workouts so you can perform at your best. If you eat enough that you can lift more (as a example) then you are going to not all do better but build muscle which if you are maintaining or losing weight via the scale....if your building muscle you would be losing fat. They also dont see carbohydrates as devil food....instead they work on timing your carbs to assist your workouts. So about a hour before i workout i will eat about 50 grams of carbs (so a quest bar and a banana)....then you eat 50 grams after you workout as well as about 25 grams of protein. You eat the carbs before hand to give you the energy to perform and the carbs and protein after is to help with muscle recovery and to get glycogen in your system which is what aids your muscle in recovery.

Now the calorie limit they estimate for me is 2300 calories LOL. But i cannot imagine my cals will get that high. I am starting this tomorrow and will be eating 1500 calories (125 grams of carbs, 125 grams of protein and 55 grams of fat)...then each week i will increase my calories by 100 cals a day. Which will equate to a extra 15 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat lol. The aim is to get my protein up to 185 grams a day which should take 4 weeks....so that point I will be at 1900 calories....I suspect that is as high as I will prolly go as I cannot imagine losing at 2300 calories.

They also have what they call active and control days. Theoretically you eat the same amount of protein and fat on both days....but on your active days (workout days) i would eat 200 grams of carbs and on control days (rest days) only 100-125 grams of carbs. But because I like to do things my own way LOL...my intent is for control days (which will prolly be wednesday, thursday and sunday) will be to eat only 1500 cals. So as you can see my timing of carbs will be quite different....low carb early in the day....and then eating all my carbs from 3pm onwards....

Tomorrow I will take some measurements...some photos...and take note of my LBM, body fat and actual weight. And start. I have already submitted my food in MFP....its a heck of a lot of protein and thats prolly gonna be the biggest struggle...but Im determined to give this a solid try (at least for 3 months unless I have some ridiculous huge gain of weight from it)

Monday night I am meeting with my trainer to discuss things and to look at my workouts and just to get my head back in the game.

Have a good day/night all!




No comments: