So its the week leading up to christmas. I am in 2 weight loss groups on FB...i also of course visit the ww forums...ive seen a number of messages/threads of people concerned about going off track. We are in week 51 of week 52 of 2010....for most people (myself included) its been a busy year...with lots of goals met...and lots of good work done...why because one or two weeks out of 52 weeks arent perfect do we beat ourselves up? Its christmas...I plan on enjoying it.
Over 2010 i had a number of messages whether on the ww forum...or my facebook inbox...from people wanting some advice...some suggestions etc. I am always MORE then happy to pass on anything I have learnt on this journey and that is the reason for this post.
So we have 11 days before January 1. Now is the PERFECT time to start think and planning towards 2011...so here are my suggestions...
1. THINK ABOUT YOUR SUPPORT NETWORK...as much as a hermit as i am...i know i desperately need this. If you dont have this you will struggle. If you dont and you wondered how do you get this....here is a few ideas...
1.Get involved with some forums...if you are following ww go to www.weightwatchers.com.au if your not doing ww check out www.3fatchicks.com/forum
2.Build a blog! Trust me .... within time you will get readers and you will have more people in your virtual support network.
3.Who in your life truly just wants whats best for you? Is it a friend, sister, mum, dad...whoever. Create a ritual of telling them how you went at weigh in each week...good and bad. If you have facebook do like me and broadcast it to the world lol...you will quickly gather who supports you by the comments and "likes" you get
4.For me also a huge support network is the gym...open your eyes to the gym....you might be surprised where you can get support there. For me its my trainer and slim coach...for others it mite be people you meet in classes...it might be thru challenges you do at the gym...
5.Got a few friends trying to get healthy/lose weight? Build a "group page" on facebook...to touch base and use for more support
I hate to say it but the support network wont just suddenly appear on your doorstep...we need to do a lil bit of work to find it...but the rewards are immense.
2. KNOWLEDGE ... really this is something just for you...and something very rewarding. I know not all people are readers...or want the extra knowledge...but i swear to god this has been one of the keys to me doing well. Start reading...start watching nutrition documentarys...if you have facebook add any health/nutrition groups you can...set up google alerts for topics you think would interest/help you (some of the alerts i have are biggest loser, nutrition, exercise, organic etcetc)
Dont know where to start with books, documentarys??? Message ME! LOL I have the names of lots of docs, and lots of books. Imagine how much you can gain from the knowledge of nutrition etc...
3. SET SOME GOALS ... no im not talking weight loss goals (altho if your like me they wil be involved in this!) Set some fitness goals....never done a fun run? Okay set the goal to do a small walk/run...mothers day classic has a 3km walk (i think) you can do...if thats not challenging enuff...aim to do a run...aim to go buy a bike and go cycling (this one i would do if i didnt think i would kill myself in the process! lol)...how about the goal of going to the gym twice a week or three times a week? or whatever! There is no one who cant set a exercise goal of some degree...if you havent done any exercise or are just starting take it slow remember! (i remember at 170 kilos starting by stepping up and down on a yellow pages...i could only do about 10-20 of them at a time but i would do it 3 times per week) Is your gym running any challenges? GET INVOLVED (yes i am really saying that lol)
What about some non fitness goals? Mine for this coming year is to never say "no" to any social invites ...what is something you fear or something you really want to do? Just one thing...make it a focus to do.
4.GET ORGANISED....start to think about how you are going to tackle 2011. What eating plan are you going to follow? How are you going to track? How are you going to record your weekly results? How will you tackle exercise? Join a gym? Go walking with a friend? DVDs within your home (get organised and buy some during the xmas sales...even better buy Jillians 30 day shred and do it with me from January 1!) If your planning to do your own exercise routine...go researching...make sure you are focusing on all muscle groups...and if you dont have access to a trainer or gym...check out you tube for video clips on correct form! If you are a member of a gym...are you going to do fitness classes? If so sit down and look at the time table...try to mix it up try and do a couple of cardio classes (RPM, cycle, body combat, body attack, zumba, body jam) if your not doing weights do body pump once a week and maybe also body balance to get some strength.
5. VARIETY.... boredom is the biggest healthy lifestyle killer...time to get out recipe books and try new recipes. Time to try new foods! This year i am planning to eat turkey and duck more often. Try some different grains...try barley...quinoa. Find a good local fruit and veg store....or set the goal of shopping at the markets at least once a month...maybe hunt up recipes for muesli bars, low fat cookies etc and get away from all the damn processed foods...and go back to foods like our grandmas made.
6. ORGANISE YOUR HOUSE ... after xmas...get the house tidy...clean out the cupboards and fridge...clean out your wardobe of all the clothes to big for you..start the year of FRESH.
7. THINK....really think about what a wonderful gift of improving your life! How exciting...making yourself number one...getting your health on track...and really living life...isnt this what we all want???? Only one person stopping us from getting that life...and thats us...!